Finding the right partner can be a complicated business - it’s a gamble every time. You might get on well now, but will you in the future? Despite what’s said, do you really share the same hopes and aspirations? Many people enter into relationships with the best of intentions, only to find that they grow apart from one another or that there are irreconcilable differences in their core personalities. If only there was a way to gain a snapshot of your potential partner’s character and possible future. The good news is: there is.
Astrology has been used for hundreds of years to create an overview of individuals, identifying traits in their personalities, behaviour patterns and the routes they are likely to take as time passes. Astrologers believe that the position of the planets and other heavenly bodies at the time of our birth can directly influence everything from the way we think to the decisions we make. The thought is that each solar body generates different energies and, depending on where they are positioned, different energies will be dominant for different people.
In addition, each of the 12 signs of the zodiac is associated with one of four elements: Earth, Air, Fire and Water. These elements broadly define the temperament and orientation of the signs that fall under their reign and also give rise to common behavioural characteristics for each constellation. As a result, it is possible to chart which signs interact with each other best and which are going to result in clashes of personality.
Using this system cuts beneath the surface of an individual, looking far beyond the veneer that we present to the world. Astrologers can create an accurate portrait of someone’s personality using certain information such as the time and place of their birth. By charting the position of the planets at that time, they are able to create a ‘psychic Identikit’ of the person they are studying.
The Four Elements
Given that there are 12 signs of the zodiac and four elements, each sign will share an element with two others. These are people you are definitely going to be at ease with and share an innate understanding with. Generally speaking, here are the traits associated with each element:
● Earth: dependability, caution, practicality and responsibility.
● Water: empathy, emotion and intuitive ability.
● Air: abstract thought, realistic goals, logical intent and careful reasoning.
● Fire: enthusiasm, assertiveness, strong-will, honesty and a love of freedom.
Despite the fact that you will have two other signs in your element, it does not necessarily mean that they are suitable as romantic partners. As much as you will share the same strengths, you will also share the same flaws and, in some cases, two signs that share the same problems are best kept well apart for fear of exacerbating the situation. Here is a list of the star signs and who they are compatible and incompatible with on a romantic level:
Who’s Who in the Zodiac?
● Capricorn. Compatible with Virgo, Scorpio, Taurus and Pisces. Incompatible with Libra and Aries.
●Aquarius. Compatible with Gemini, Aries, Sagittarius and Libra. Incompatible with Taurus and Scorpio.
● Pisces. Compatible with Cancer, Taurus, Capricorn and Scorpio. Incompatible with Gemini and Saggitarius.
● Aries. Compatible with Gemini, Aquarius, Sagittarius and Leo. Incompatible with Cancer and Capricorn.
● Taurus. Compatible with Pisces, Capricorn, Cancer and Virgo. Incompatible with Leo and Aquarius.
● Gemini. Compatible with Aries, Aquarius, Leo and Libra. Incompatible with Virgo and Pisces.
● Cancer. Compatible with Virgo, Scorpio, Taurus and Pisces. Incompatible with Libra and Aries.
● Leo. Compatible with Gemini, Aries, Libra and Sagittarius. Incompatible with Taurus and Scorpio.
● Virgo. Compatible with Cancer, Taurus, Capricorn and Scorpio. Incompatible with Sagittarius and Gemini.
● Libra. Compatible with Leo, Gemini, Aquarius and Sagittarius. Incompatible with Cancer and Capricorn.
● Scorpio. Compatible with Scorpio, Virgo, Cancer and Pisces. Incompatible with Leo and Aquarius.
● Sagittarius. Compatible with Libra, Leo, Aries and Aquarius. Incompatible with Virgo and Pisces.
Applying this to your Life
It is worth looking through the list of those you are compatible with and examining the strengths and weaknesses of each sign, so that you can see how their strengths and weaknesses complement your own. Sometimes the interplay may be subtle and it will require a lot of soul-searching on your part to see just where the compatibilities lie. Even harder is to examine the traits of someone you are incompatible with, particularly if you are attracted to them or already involved with them. However, look beneath what you know about that person and see just how the traits of their star sign could begin to make sense.
The Influence of the Stars
Astrology is considered as a science and has had many influential contributors. The Swiss psychoanalyst Carl Jung proposed the theory that is most widely accepted; that the planets synchronistically affect our environment and, as a consequence, us. However, there are also reasons why you should trust your own instinct as much as an astrologer.
Paracelsus, one of the world’s foremost astrologers, remarked that “the stars influence, they do not compel.” In this statement, he suggests that, while the energies generated by heavenly bodies may set up a framework for a particular form of behaviour or chain of events, their influence cannot in any way override our free will. In romance, many things are possible and there is always the potential that you or the person you are interested in may overcome the flaws that should, in astrological terms, set you apart from one another.
Many people live their lives by the stars, where others dip in and out, interpreting predictions as they see fit. Certainly, where love is concerned, it’s best to have a foot in each camp. The stars may say one thing, but if your heart tells you another, then you have to trust yourself to make the right decision. This may mean flying in the face of all you believe or letting someone walk out of your life, but each decision comes with its own pitfalls. There is no right or wrong in matters of the heart – there is only different.