The fundament of most spiritual belief is that we are all beings of energy. In addition to our physical bodies, we also have an ‘energy body’, known as the spirit, the soul or even as an aura. In Indian astrology, the physical body and the energy body are connected by whirling vortices of energy, known as the Chakras.
There are seven Chakras, each linked to a particular organ or system in the body. By keeping our flows of energy balanced through the Chakras, it is believed that we are also able to maintain our physical health. In addition, the Chakras are linked to our spiritual, emotional and mental health, so ensuring that they are functioning correctly can be of benefit to virtually every aspect of our beings.
Each Chakra is represented by a particular colour and the Chakra is thought to vibrate at the same frequency as that colour. Working upwards from the base of the spine, the seven Chakras are:
1) The Root Chakra. This Chakra is usually depicted as being brown, linking us directly to the Earth. It grounds us and is linked to the strong, dependable parts of our bodies: the legs, feet, bones and teeth.
2) The Sacral Chakra is orange and located just below the navel. This Chakra conducts energy to and from our sex organs, bladder and kidneys.
3) The Solar Plexus Chakra is located just below the rib-cage and is yellow in colour. In addition to being linked to the stomach and intestines, this Chakra governs our ‘gut instincts.’
4) The Heart Chakra governs the heart, lungs and chest. It is green in colour and thought to be the vortex through which the energies of love can flow.
5) The blue Throat Chakra is located in the soft alcove at the base of the throat. It governs our vocal chords and is concerned with our communicative abilities.
6) The Brow Chakra, which is indigo in colour, is located between your physical eyes. It is responsible for our outer and inner sight.
7) The white Crown Chakra is located at the top of the head. It governs our brains and skin, but also serves as a link to our higher selves.